Sunday, February 1, 2015

Monthly Organizing Series| February Week 1: KITCHEN

               
               
               Today is the first day of my monthly organizing series on clearing out clutter and organizing the entire home. This month we will start in the kitchen, the heart of our home. First, we need to plan our kitchen so that we know how we can strategically place things and to make our kitchen more functional. I admit, when my family moved in to our new home three years ago I absolutely had no strategy for organization. My cooking utensils were in a cupboard neatly placed, but it was on the opposite side of the kitchen away from stove! They appeared to have just put in a cupboard with no thoughts (kaloka!).


               To begin the process, I like to think of my kitchen as being divided into stations, like taking a cue from restaurant kitchen were there is assigned station for all the task to do (prepping, cooking, cleaning, putting food away, storage) so that there's as little unnecessary movement as possible. Using "station" strategy prevent you from having to retrieve items from all over your kitchen during meal preparation. 

So here is the basic plan of how I have “stationed” my kitchen (we are going to tackle the pantry on the second week of the month).


               As you can see in the picture my meal prep area is beside the stove and my kitchen utensils is just right above for easy access. In my coffee station: mugs, coffee, sugar, creamer, cinnamon, cocoa and teaspoons are all together. Of course dish drying area is beside the sink. Try to keep in mind some of the planning strategies to see which ones apply to your situation.


               Here is another angle of our kitchen. Oils, soy sauce, fish sauce, vinegar, onion, garlic, and ginger stay on the counter! Easy access. The other side is for my dry plates, drinking glasses, bowls, food storage, etc. all in one place too.

               Once you are finished planning out your designated station in your kitchen, its time to put on your comfy clothes, tie your hair up, and turn on the music. Clear all the clutter and lets get organized!!! 

WEEK ONE TASK/TO-DO'S
Every space should be emptied out (cabinet, cupboard, drawer, fridge) so that we can see it clearly what we have. 

CHECK LIST:

Clear out and wipe all cabinet, drawer, cupboard, and counter top
Purge everything that is not used, what you don't need, expired, and things that are just collecting dust
Clean out the refrigerator
Clean the stove (under & behind), oven, and exhaust filter (they need some TLC too)
Clean and organize under the kitchen sink
mop the floor

               Once everything is cleaned, sort all items into "categories" and put it back in an organized manner. The items that you use and need on a daily basis should be put onto the counter top. Take note of the word I use "you only use and need on a daily basis" we don't want to over-crowd our working area.


ORGANIZED SPACES IN MY KITCHEN

 Dish placement
 Plastic storage
Rarely used things
Spices & condiments cabinet
Pots & pan cabinet
Kitchen utensils cabinet
Coffee station
✓ Under the sink




               Stacking plates, bowls, and glasses doubles up your cabinet space!!! These stack-able shelves are from Hypermarket (I believe Shopwise have one). I transfer my food containers to this space where i used to place my kitchen utensils (I use color coded system for my food container. I already made a post on this one. Link here). Water bottles and dishes that I only use once in a while for entertaining are on the top shelf out of the way since these don’t get used every day.



SPICES & CONDIMENTS CABINET


Here in my spice cabinet I put news paper over the liner so it can easily replace once a week or as needed. Bottled spices and refills are stored in an easy to pull container.



Chopping/Cutting board was supposed to be placed vertically for easy pull out, but since my cabinet is not deep and high enough I just put it horizontally (it works for me since I don't have anything up there).


For my white and brown rice, I store it in fita containers and put labels on it (gotta work what I have and think out of the box) .




               *My kitchen won’t be “magazine worthy”, nor did it have granite counter-tops or beautiful cupboards but hey, who cares??? As long as my kitchen function well, clean, and organized I am extremely happy, thankful and grateful for it!!! =)


Now its TIME for you to get busy organizing your kitchen!

Share the process of how you can organize yours. You can take as long as you need, and once you are finished organizing your space, come back here to this post and link up your blog (with pictures) to share with all of us. Good luck and see you back here soon!





25 comments:

  1. Wow! So organized! Thanks for inspiring me to organize my kitchen too! Lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mommy Ruth! Can't wait to see on how you organize your kitchen.

      Delete
  2. Like you, I also you different container for the spices, condiments and cleaning stuff. It makes my life easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mommy Michi! Share your space too and put the link here. God bless! =)

      Delete
  3. We have so many glass bottles in the kitchen. It may seem I'm always making atchara, but no! How do I organize them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mommy ceemee! Hanap ka lang ng pwede mong pag gamitan nung mga glass bottle mo for example you can store spices o mga pang asim mix, pwede mo rin gawing cookie jar for your kids snack lagyan mo lang ng labels. Ok lang naman to keep few of those just remember the rules for what to keep and what to get rid of. "If you like it and use it and have space for it, then keep it." If it doesn't fit one of those three criteria, you should seriously think about letting it go. =) I hope this will help. Thank you and God bless!

      Delete
  4. Oh my! this post inspires me to organize our bedroom now... cause it's the only part of the house that's un organized. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mommy Nicole! Thank you for stopping by here on my blog it really means a lot. =) Once you finished organizing your bedroom share it to us! You can put the link here. God Bless!

      Delete
  5. Our kitchen is our problem area. It's so tiny and I can't do anything about it because we're just renting. The only thing I can do is to let go of some of our stuff in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mommy Kim! nung nag start ako i-clear yung kitchen namin marami rin ako tinapon/donate especially yung mga ice cream tupperwear at mga bottles. ;)

      Delete
  6. This inspires me to redo our messy kitchen haha. Thanks for the inspiration.-Macy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mommy Macy! thank you too for visiting my blog. Share your organized kitchen once you are done you can put the link here. :) God Bless!

      Delete
  7. I need those stackable shelves thingy, glad shopwise has it other than Ikea. Will check it out. Can I just say I envy your organization? I try to maintain an organized home then after a few days kalat na ulit hehe. Thanks for sharing, so inspired to clean up now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mommy Lique! After this series I‘ll be sharing here on how to maintain organized home. Your welcome and thank you too! share mo rin dito yung na-organize mo nang space I would love to see yours too! Happy organizing! :) God Bless

      Delete
  8. I love that I don't see any plastic wrappers and tetra packs in your pantry! I'm so OC, even the sound of those wrappers feel unorganized for me. Thank you for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mommy Aleigna! On my spice and condiment cabinet most of the things there are refillable. I will share my pantry on the second week of my monthly organizing series. Thank you too for reading my blog. Hope to see yours too! God Bless :)

      Delete
  9. Naku sayang I can't take part in this particular part of the series. We already reorganized our kitchen eh; I think that was 2 weeks ago. What I love about reorganized kitchens is that they seem so clean and maluwag afterward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mommy Marie! I would love to see how you organize yours. You can share your pictures here. Thanks and God bless!

      Delete
  10. Grabe your kitchen is so organized. Aside from the kids' playroom, the kitchen is also a problematic area in our home. And even if I have a system, ginugulo ng yaya kaya nakakainis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mommy Ayeeesha! I-remind mo na lang uli yung yaya nyo mommy na may system ka‘ng ipinapatupad sa bahay na kailangan sundin like “kung saan mo ito kinuha, doon mo rin ibalik“. Sana nakatulong ako sayo.. =) Thank you too and God Bless!

      Delete
  11. Your kitchen is so organized :-) I don't have any guts to organize our kitchen since I don't cook but I am the one who is in charge to organize the fridge and our groceries

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your kitchen looks so clean and organized. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really admire how organized you are! If only I can be as organized as you. You inspire me though and will re-organize the kitchen as soon as I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now I just need cabinets! Love the organization. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Widgets